Groundswell Institute operates the beautiful and rustic retreat center facilities on the land. Ideal for groups of up to one hundred, our camp runs alongside our year round creek and two seasonal creeks. A private, quarter acre pond is available to groups for swimming, and there are over 140 acres of redwood forest to explore. For those looking for an affordable escape into the woods, our retreat center campus is an ideal option.
Until recently, Groundswell’s facilities were used as a youth camp every summer. That camp infrastructure is still in place and forms the basis of our plans to transform Groundswell Institute into an inspiring retreat center for environmental education and cultural resilience. In the meanwhile, our facilities remain quaint, highly functional, and in a constant process of renewal.
Groundswell’s facilities are available for rent to outside groups or individuals. We invite you to contact us with your interest and questions. Below are some more details about Groundswell Institute’s campground.
- Cabins – There are 9 cabins on the site with the ability to sleep 72 people. All are fitted with bunk beds and contain power outlets.
- Standard Cabins – There are seven standard cabins, each of which has 4 bunk beds (can fit 8 adults).
- Doubles Cabins – There are two cabins with doubled up bunks that can each fit 2 adults easily and 3 cozily.
- **We have an 5 additional beds (4 twin, 1 double) that are available only to those with special needs.**
- Campgrounds – lots of flat areas close in to the rest of the facilities that are perfect for camping during most of the year.
- Commercial Kitchen – fully equipped with service for 100 and features a convection oven, 2 pizza ovens, full range and griddle, walk-in refrigerator and more.
- **Additionally, we have a smokehouse adjacent to the kitchen equipped with one large charcoal grill.**
- Dining Hall – our dining hall can seat up to 75 inside and an additional 80+ on adjoining deck outside with chairs and table for up to 100 guests. Adjoining living room with comfortable couches and plenty of space to relax.
- Bathhouse – contains 10 standing showers and 9 toilet stalls in the style of a summer camp.
- Modocker’s Boutique – This space houses our extensive drag collection. This is a mainstay of Groundswell and is an exuberantly fun social space.
- Tidrik Lodge – This is a large, versatile event space. Half is fully indoors, with the other half being partially open air.
- Fire pit with amphitheater seating and stage
- ¼-acre pond with 3 canoes and a floating dock. This very private swimming pond can be clothing optional depending on your groups preferences.
- Swimming hole at Rancheria Creek set among glistening boulders, this natural pool provides a spot for refreshing dips in the summertime.